I am always looking for new ways to cook with quinoa and when I picked up some cashews at our local farmers market I knew that they would be a wonderful addition to a Thai inspired quinoa dish. This cashew quinoa with ginger peanut dressing is a wonderful vegan dish. This healthy salad is packed with protein and can be served as a main dish or could easily compliment many meals.
My husband travels frequently for work so I enjoy dishes that make a bunch and taste great served again and again throughout the week. This one fit totally fit the bill, I was able to eat this delicious cashew quinoa with ginger peanut dressing for lunches and dinners throughout the week.
My kids enjoy this dish as well. I was able to pack it for lunches to take to the beach for an afternoon of play. This Thai inspired quinoa will definitely be made over in our home. The kids are already asking for more!
What you need:
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups of shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots (I often chop the cabbage and carrots in the food processor for ease)
- 1 1/2 cups of diced sweet peppers. I used red, yellow, and orange because that is what I had
- 1 diced small red onion
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup of cashews (halved or chopped) I chop mine in my food processor because that is what my children prefer
- 16 ounces of chick peas (garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup of all natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons of Braggs Liquid Amino or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of agave nectar or honey
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
What you do:
Prepare quinoa: Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa, stir, cover, and reduce heat to low for about 15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed. Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl to cool.
*I have been mixing the red and white quinoa. They taste very similar but I enjoy the presentation when they are mixed. It is totally up to you as to what type of quinoa you use!
Prepare dressing: Place peanut butter and agave or honey into a small glass dish and heat in oven, toaster oven, or microwave until melted and creamy. Pour melted mixture into a medium bowl then add ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and olive oil. Stir until smooth and creamy.
Add the dressing to the quinoa and combine. Finally fold in red pepper, cabbage, carrots, red onion, cilantro, quinoa, cashews, and green onions.
Serve at room temperature or chilled. I garnish this cashew quinoa with a slice of lime.
I hope that you enjoy this awesome dish. I would love to serve it with some fresh homemade spring rolls but have not been able to conquer making any that don’t taste bland and fall apart. If you have a spring roll recipe that you love PLEASE share it with me!
To see all of my recipes please click here. If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like (click on image for recipe):