Sometimes the only thing that I want to make for dinner is a big pot of comfort food. This cheesy broccoli chicken pasta is a one dish meal that I often turn to when I am craving comfort foods. I use gluten-free noodles so that everyone in our family can enjoy this creamy cheesy pasta, I also dislike making two different meals!
Do you ever have one of those days? This is a meal that I often make on one of those days. On this day my husband had been out-of-town for longer than I care to think about, my kids were not liking each other or me for that matter, the house was a mess, hell I was a mess, we still had Math to do and the last thing I wanted to think about was dinner but I wanted actually I needed a cheesy pasta meal to comfort my soul…I mean hunger.
I quickly made this cheesy broccoli chicken pasta while the kids played Minecraft. Cooking is not a chore to me, it often helps me calm down and re-charge. When it was time to meet at the table for our meal I was a much calmer mama my kids liked each other again (Minecraft for the team building win!). I sat down and enjoyed this cheesy pasta goodness and not one of my kids complained about what was being served, that totally does not happen everyday! I am not saying that this recipe will bring peace to your life but it may for just a few moments and man is it yummy.
you can print this recipe at the bottom of the page
First, place a pot of water on the oven to boil your water for your pasta, I use whatever type of gluten-free pasta we have in the kitchen, today it was penne. In the meantime, prepare the chicken and broccoli. Heat oil, I use coconut oil, in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
It should be about time to add your pasta to your boiling water.
While the chicken and pasta are cooking whisk together the milk (I use almond milk), chicken broth, and flour (again gluten-free for me), salt, pepper, and chili powder until well combined.
Add the broccoli to the pasta during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Stir the milk mixture into the pan with the chicken.
Cook about 3 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
Drain broccoli and pasta and set aside.
Add the cheese into the sauce until melted.
Mix in the pasta and broccoli and stir until combined and heated through. Remove from heat and let stand for a minute or two (if you can!) then chow down!
I hope that you enjoy this as much as I do. I also hope that you don’t have one of those days too often. 🙂
To see more of my real-food recipes please click here.
This post is a part of the Full Plate Thursday link up.
- 8 ounces pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets (I include diced up stems as well)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 chicken breast halves, cut into pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk (I use almond)
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- ¼ cup flour (all purpose or gluten-free all purpose blend)
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- * I use organic ingredients
- Heat pot of water on the oven to boil your water for your pasta. Cook pasta according to package while adding broccoli during last 3 minutes of cook time. Drain & set aside.
- Heat oi in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the milk, chicken broth, and flour, salt, pepper, and chili powder until well combined.
- Once chicken is cooked stir the milk mixture into the pan with the chicken.
- Cook about 3 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the cheese into the sauce until melted.
- Mix in the pasta and broccoli and stir until combined and heated through. Remove from heat and let stand for a minute or two (if you can!) then chow down!