I have been trying to create more gluten-free recipes because I know that Ava is very sensitive to gluten. Ava loves sweets so I decided to create a gluten-free sweet treat. I asked Alex for his assistance in the kitchen because (1) he loves to help and (2) he is working on fractions. What better way to learn fractions than to measure out ingredients for baking?!
While the girls were napping Alex and I headed to the kitchen to create a new recipe. We took some almond flour and a few other yummy ingredients and mixed them up in a bowl to make some (hopefully) delicious gluten-free almond flour oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Jeez, that is a really long title for a cookie!
Yes, I said cookie. If you look at the title of this post you will see that it is not for a cookie. It is for squares. Once we mixed all of the ingredients together it just wasn’t in a dough like form and was very difficult to form into individual cookies. So, we placed everything into a parchment paper lined dish and baked it. Alex learned a lesson on improvisation as well!
This oatmeal chocolate dessert smelled wonderful while baking I must say. Once the cooking was complete Alex cut it into squares and voila!…almond flour oatmeal chocolate chip squares…not cookies.
Squares or cookies, it really doesn’t matter because this gluten-free sweet treat is out of this world. My 15-year-old stepdaughter especially liked them. I always feel as though I have won an award when I can please a teenager!
Speaking of awards….I am so excited to say that I was given my very first blogger award. Inger from the Art of Natural Living awarded me the most versatile blogger award and I am so very thankful! You can see more about this award at the end of the post.
Here is what you need: 2 cups rolled oats, 1 cup almond flour, 1/2 cup coconut flakes, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 3/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted), 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 3/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
Here is what you do: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients ,minus the chocolate chips, in a bowl and mix. Alex is my boxer clad assistant!
Combine all wet ingredients in bowl and whisk together. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into a parchment lined 8 x 8 dish. Flatten slightly.
Bake about 30 minutes.
Let cool 20 minutes then cut into squares.
To see more of my recipes please click here.
Okay, back to this fabulous award!
Inger from Art of Natural Living passed this award on to me and I am so thankful. She has been a constant source of support on my blogging journey. The way that I have been cooking in bulk I may catch up with her by having 4 freezers! She is an inspiration in the kitchen for sure!
Here are the rules for the award:
- Thank and link back to the blogger who nominated you
- Tell 7 things about yourself
- Nominate 15 bloggers and let them know
7 things about myself….I will try not to bore you:
1. I have lived in Ohio, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, Louisiana, and Florida. I never thought that I would live at the beach and now I could not imagine living anywhere else.
2. I have been pregnant and/or nursing for 7+ years and see no end in sight (and that is totally fine with me).
3. I truly love to cook. If you come to my house for a visit you will most likely get sent home with a few Pyrex containers with new creations that are stacked in my fridge.
4. I went to school to become a teacher. Homeschooling, especially unschooling, were far from my mind!
5. Horror movies really scare me, I prefer not to watch them.
6. When I was young I could smell colors. Really, I could.
7. By the end of the year I hope that yoga is a part of my families daily routine.
Here are the 15 bloggers that I would like to pass this award to in no particular order:
1. Issa at LoveLiveGrow
2. Lauren at HoboMama
3. FRM & HGM at MyHealthyGreenFamily
4. Carlie at SoYouCallYourselfAHomeschooler
5. Darcel at TheMahoganyWay
6. The moms at PlayAtHomeMom3
7. Odessa at WildPapoose
8. Lori at GroovyGreenLiving
9. Mandy at ABonaFideLife
10. Christy at AdventuresInMommyhood: Mommy Outnumbered
11. Jennifer at HybridRastaMama
12. Jessica at FarFromKansas
13. Christine at LovingAttachmentParenting
14. Gauri at LovingEarthMama
15. Charise at IThoughtIKnewMama
Thank you to all of you bloggers, you are a constant source of inspiration to me!