My daughter has long hair that seems to tangle very easily. I have been making homemade hair detangler for years using an ACV detangler recipe that works quite well but my daughter was ‘over’ the vinegar smell. After browsing the internet I put together a great recipe that gets the tangles out and smells great!
This detangler recipe’s main ingredient is aloe juice. Aloe Vera Juice is a natural, light conditioner and detangler. It goes on very light but doesn’t weigh her hair down at all.
I read quite a bit on which essential oils would work best in a detangler recipe and here are the ones that I decided to use:
- Lavender Essential Oil oil reduces hair breakage, increases hair growth, and can treat dandruff and prevent excessive oil on the scalp.
Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Orange essential oil helps to smooth the hair cuticle and untangle hair. Orange oil also helps to prevent split ends.
- Rosemary Essential Oil increases circulation to the scalp and is often used to treat dandruff. Rosemary oil also acts as a preservative in this recipe.
- Aloe Juice
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Orange Essential Oil
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- (I use organic ingredients)
- Pour 4 ounces of aloe juice into a spray bottle.
- Add 25 drops of lavender essential oil
- Add 20 drops of orange essential oil
- Add 10 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Put on the lid and gently shake to thoroughly mix in the essential oils.
- Spray as much as needed into wet or dry hair.
- We use 5 to 10 sprays before brushing tangles out of dry hair.
We use this detanger daily so it typically is gone before 2 months is up. If you don’t use it daily and expect to keep it for 4 months or more you might consider keeping it in the fridge.
If you are using this detangler on a child please be careful not to get it in their eyes as it can burn.