I am eliminating processed foods from our home. I try to avoid the canned food aisle at the grocery store. I am still buying canned tomatoes on occasion, I hope to start canning this summer so I will no longer need them. One thing I have been adamant about is not buying canned condensed soup. They are typically high in sodium and fat. This eliminated some of my families favorite recipes but I wasn’t about to give in a buy a can of condensed soup. I realized that I needed to tackle a homemade and healthier version of the condensed soups that my recipes called for. Challenge accepted! I was on a mission to make a homemade substitute for condensed cream of broccoli soup.
You may be asking why I am against canned condensed soups
- Well, here are a few reasons: Most soups come in cans, and most cans contain BPA. BPA is an endocrine disrupter that has been tested in lab animals.
- MSG can cause migraines, headaches, abdominal cramps and other symptoms in people who are sensitive to it but I can’t help but think it is unhealthy for anyone.
- Unless it is an organic can of consensed soup it contains gmo’s. Especially if they are made with corn, soy, sugar or other additives that come from GMO plants.
- Much of the produce used is also treated with pesticides and herbicides.
- Ingredients in Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Broccoli soup: water, broccoli, wheat flour, vegetables oil (corn oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil, and/or soybeans oil) onions, cream, contains less than 22% of salt, food starch modified, sugar, whey dried, soy protein concentrate, spices, spices extract, zinc chloride. GROSS!
SO, those are a few of the reasons I am no longer purchasing and feeding canned condensed soups (as well as many other packaged foods) to my family. When my kids asked me to make broccoli cheese quinoa casserole I hit the kitchen to make a homemade version of condensed cream of broccoli soup.
Here is the recipe that will help you make those yummy casseroles without all of the nasty ingredients…
- 2 tablespoons of butter (you can replace the butter with oil if you desire, I have used coconut oil and it works great!)
- ¼ cup of whole wheat flour (if you want it to be white in color like the store-bought kind, use a white flour, I now use gluten-free flour due to my daughters allergy)
- ½ cup chicken or veggie stock
- ½ cup milk (almond milk works)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped broccoli (I stick mine in the food processor so it is finely chopped)
- Melt the butter is a saucepan then sautee the broccoli until it is tender over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low then stir in the flour. It will get really really thick.
- Add the chicken, or veggie, stock and stir or whisk to get rid of the lumps.
- Bring to a boil of medium high heat and stir until it gets thick
- Add milk, salt, and pepper. Continue to stir until it gets thick.
- This will substitute great in a recipe calling for a 14.5 ounce can of condensed cream of broccoli soup.
To see more of my recipes please click here.