Two of my kids love eggs, me not so much. I struggle at times creating new egg dishes for them as I don’t eat them. I knew that they must be getting tired of plain ‘ol fried or scrambled eggs so I decided to shake it up a bit. Years ago I made mini breakfast casseroles in the oven regularly so I decided to put a spin on the mini casseroles and ended up making mini frittatas in my Instant Pot, score! This mini frittata Instant Pot recipe is easy, quick (of course!), and totally kid approved.
First thing first, what is a frittata? A frittata is a fried egg dish similar to a quiche. I have switched up this frittata recipe by using the Instant Pot. This frittata recipe is not fried but my kids report that it is equally delicious cooked this way and I enjoy the ease and swiftness of this cooking method. You can create a basic frittata or add endless mix-in’s to create a dish perfect for even the pickiest eaters.
Second, what is an Instant Pot? Oh my goodness, if you don’t know about this kitchen gadget yet you need to jump on it! My Instant Pot gets used almost daily and I am even thinking that I may need another one. The Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker, you can read more about it here, that allows you to make delicious and nutritious food FAST.
So, back to my mini frittatas Instant Pot breakfast recipe, are you ready? It is easy, fast, and delicious! Mix your eggs, splash of milk, and any mix-in’s that you desire then pour into molds, set Instant Pot to manual 5 minute setting, once it is done cooking do a quick release and ENJOY!
Step by step directions as well as a printable recipe can be found below.
Frittata Mix-In Choices
When making my mini frittatas I used silicone baking molds, my girls chose hearts and the boy chose circles. I made rather basic frittatas for my kids. The girls wanted bacon and cheese mixed in theirs, I tried to coerce them to choose veggies but nope, and the boy chose scallion only. You can be very creative in your frittata mix-in choices, here are a few:
- Herb: Parmesan cheese, 1 small diced and sautéed onion and 1 tablespoon each minced fresh parsley, basil, dill, and tarragon, or really any herb combo you desire.
- Greek: Saute chopped spinach in oil. Add chopped kalamata olives and chopped basil to egg mixture and top with feta cheese crumbles.
- Green chili: Saute 1 small, diced onion. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 small can roasted, diced chilis to the egg mixture. Serve with sour cream and Sriracha sauce after cooking.
- Asparagus & Parsley: Roast 1 cup each sliced mushrooms and asparagus in a 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes. Add veggies to egg mixture along with chopped fresh parsley and Asiago cheese.
- Caprese: Add tomatoes, shredded mozzarella and basil.
- Italian: Add sausage, onions and peppers.
- Elegant: Add leeks and asparagus.
- Kid friendly: Add broccoli and cheddar.
- BLT: Add bacon, arugula and tomatoes.
- Southwest: Add jalapeno, corn, Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro.
Are you drooling yet and devising your own mini frittata recipe? Plug in your Instant Pot and let’s get cooking!
Mini Frittata Instant Pot Recipe
I made 6 mini frittatas using 5 eggs. This recipe is easy to adjust to make more or less, it is really hard to mess this one up, even more reason to love it!
Place your eggs and a dash of milk in a mixing dish…..
Stir it all up….
Add the mix-in’s that you desire, this is the fun part, and stir it all up. Don’t forget the spices as well, for this batch I simply used salt and pepper…
Pour you finished mixture, or mixtures if you have individual tastes like me, into baking molds.
The round molds are the egg with scallion and the hearts are the egg with bacon and cheese.
Place the molds on the rack in your instant pot with one cup of water…..
Set the Instant Pot on manual high pressure for 5 minutes…..
Once the time is up perform a quick release and your frittatas are done!
Carefully take them out, don’t burn yourself….
Even thought I don’t eat eggs I get to enjoy the silence of happy kids eating a yummy breakfast while I sneak off to enjoy one more cup of coffee.
I hope that you, or your family, enjoy this recipe. To see more of my recipes please click here. I am happy to discover more Instant Pot recipes, if you have one that you would like to share please do so in the comments.
You may also like:
- 5 eggs
- splash of milk (I use almond milk)
- spices such as salt and pepper
- desired mix in's: cheese, veggies, meats, the options are endless!
- Mix eggs, milk, and mix-in's in a dish.
- Pour mixture into individual baking molds, I use silicone molds.
- Place molds on rack in Instant Pot with 1 cup of water.
- Set Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the timer goes off and cooking is done perform a quick steam release.