I recently discovered that my daughter is unable to eat gluten. I stopped into one of my favorite neighborhood markets to explore my gluten-free options and was gifted a box of black bean pasta. I was excited at the possibilities of what I could create with this new pasta. I ended up making a delicious gluten-free southwest black bean pasta. This delicious black bean pasta is filled with peppers, corn, tomatoes, and chili peppers. I topped my black bean pasta with a creamy avocado cilantro sauce, you could skip this to make it a vegan dish or tweak it a bit to fit your needs.
The box of black bean pasta that I was gifted was Tolerant Foods Organic Black Bean Pasta, I really like it because it has only one ingredient: black beans.
You can also find several different varieties of gluten-free black bean pasta over at Amazon. For Audrey I made her pasta with corn, cucumber, and coconut oil chilled and she loved it. However, I also wanted to make myself something with this interesting pasta to see how it turned out. I have been on a spicy kick so I headed to the fridge to see what I had and ended up creating a delicious gluten-free southwestern black bean pasta salad with an added avocado cilantro cream sauce, it turned out awesome!
Here is the recipe and below you will see photos of the various steps of making this delicious southwest pasta!
- Southwest Black Bean Pasta
- ½ pound of black bean pasta (you could sub black beans or regular pasta & black beans)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalepeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of corn, cooked
- 1 large red pepper or several multi-color sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 14.5 can of diced tomatoes with chili peppers or dice up fresh tomatoes and peppers!
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne if desired
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Avocado cream sauce (recipe below)
- Optional: shredded cheese
- Optional: 1 can of black beans (if you are skipping the pasta or using plain pasta I would add the beans!)
- Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 - 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil & cook your noodles
- Prepare your avocado cream sauce (recipe below)
- Heat the coconut oil in a deep skillet. Add the onion, garlic and cook for a few minutes until the onion is a bit soft.
- Add tomatoes & green chilies, jalepeno and cook for a few minutes.
- Add corn, black beans (optional), paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the package directions.
- Mix the cooked noodles with the cooked veggies.
- Drizzle with avocado cream sauce. Sprinkle with fresh green onions and shredded cheese if desired.
- Avocado Cream Sauce:
- Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Super Easy!
I heated a spoonful of coconut oil in a deep skillet and heated the water for the pasta at the same time. I added the red onion and garlic to the oil and cooked those for minutes then added the tomatoes and jalepenos.
Next I added the corn and peppers and spices, I let this cook for about 5-8 minutes. Don’t forget to cook your black bean pasta while you are cooking the yummy veggies!
Once the pasta and veggies are done cooking mix them together. The pic was too steamy for this step!
The avocado cilantro cream sauce is easy to make. Just place the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Then mix it up until it is smooth and creamy.
The last step is the best. Fill up a bowl of the delicious southwest black bean pasta. Pile on your desired toppings such as cheese, scallion, and the avocado cilantro cream sauce & enjoy! You can see all of my real-food recipes here.