This spicy black bean a quinoa salad can hold its own as a main course or could be used to complement a variety of meals. You could omit the chipotle pepper if you did not want a spicy dish or you could double or triple the hot pepper to make it a super spicy black bean and quinoa salad. This is also a great recipe to make in bulk to eat throughout the week.
Quinoa is so versatile that it can be used in pretty much every recipe.
I discovered this recipe in the back of my recipe book. I used to make it with orzo and I thought it would be super yummy if I switched the orzo for quinoa. I was right, this is a super yummy dish that can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature.
Are you ready to make a batch of spicy black bean and quinoa salad? If so here you go….
- 16 ounces of cooked black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of Bragg’s liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (I freeze the rest to use at a later time)
- 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 scallions (or one bunch), sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large red, yellow, or orange bell pepper (or a few small in all of the varieties!)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid for about 20 minutes or all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove quinoa from heat and place in a shallow dish to cool.
Place beans, veggies, and cooled quinoa into a large bowl.
Pour your sauce from your mixer/food processor over and stir until completely mixed up.
Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!