It has been over two years since I discovered Diatomaceous earth. I originally used it to natuarally eliminate pinworms in my daughter and it worked great! I decided to research diatomaceous earth (DE) and discovered the many health benefits of diatomaceous earth. Our entire family takes it daily in our smoothies and we are enjoying the health benefits of diatomaceous earth.
What is Diatomaceous Earth
If you are just discovering or beginning to read about diatomaceous earth (DE) you may be wondering what the heck it is. Well here you go…..
Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth’s ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. – Golden Harvest Organics
You now know what diatomaceous earth is so it is time for me to share with you why you should be taking it everyday!
Health Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous earth has many health benefits so let’s get down to it.
Food-grade DE is composed of approximately 89% silica. Silica is a very important trace mineral. Our modern-day silica deficiency is due to modern farming. Prior to modern farming practices, which depleted the soil, we ingested silica through our food.
- Diatomacous earth provides our body with silica which is extremely beneficial to tendons, cartilage, blood vessels, and bones. Pretty much every vital organ benefits from silica including the liver, lungs and heart.
- Diatomaceous earth is great for your skin! The silica found in DE is crucial for the production of collagen which improves skin tone, the health of your joints and tendons, and it is great for your hair and nails! DE’s natural silica content is great for healthy skin, teeth, hair, and nails.
- Diatomaceous earth is abrasive because it is very hard.
On a scale of “hardness”, if diamonds were a 9, diatomaceous earth would be a 7. – The Prairie Homestead
Because DE is very abrasive it is a wonderful skin exfoliator and toothpaste additive. I am replacing the baking soda in my remineralizing tooth powder with diatomaceous earth and I think I will do the same in my deodorant.
- DE is also awesome for you gut! The amazing abrasive quality of DE cleans out our digestive track. I know from experience that it is totally capable of removing parasites from the digestive tract. DE may also aid in removing toxic metals, such as mercury, from your body. It is also able to flush out viral, fungal and bacterial pathogens. DE also helps to flush out yeast (Candida) and pesticide residues – how can you not add DE to your diet?!?
I know, I know, I’m getting excited here. But there are so many amazing health benefits of diatomaceous earth that I want to share them with everyone.
- I have also read that diatomaceous earth is good for your heart and waistline as well. Many claim that DE has helped lower cholesterol benefiting the health of the heart. Some people also report that drinking DE mixed with water before a meal makes them feel “full” causing them to eat less therefore helping with weight loss.
My family takes diatomaceous earth daily to include silica and minerals in our diets. We have all experienced many positive health benefits since taking diatomaceous earth. We also use it around the house but I will save that for another post!
Cautions of Diatomaceous Earth
There are a few cautions that I would like to mention if you are planning on obtaining and using DE in your home.
Second, do not inhale DE. I have read multiple times that you should not inhale it. I have researched the why part and the answers have not been so clear. I did read over at a State of Oregon document that inhaling DE is no more harmful than inhaling dust but I don’t take any chances, I don’t breathe it in.
How We Take Diatomaceous Earth
Oh, I almost forgot to share HOW much we take every day. I will share but please know that I am not a doctor and am only sharing how my family takes DE. It is important to start slowly as DE will begin to detox your body. We started at a teaspoon a day, followed by a teaspoon twice a day. My kids still take a teaspoon or two a day while I take up to 2 tablespoons a day. As I mentioned I add it to our smoothies but you can also mix it with water and drink it. Please know that it will not dissolve in your water so drink fast so it doesn’t end up at the bottom of your cup!
Do you use DE in your diet, if so how?
DISCLAIMER: The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.