I love quinoa. Have I said that before? I am sure that I have but I will say it again. I. Love. Quinoa. My son loves meatloaf as much as I love quinoa. I have always made our meatloaf with turkey instead of beef and was excited to replace the bread crumbs with quinoa. I was super excited to serve turkey and quinoa meatloaf to my husband and son.
I was a tad anxious when I served this for the first time. I tweaked the original turkey and quinoa meatloaf recipe a bit and it was a huge success with my husband and son. My husband says that using the quinoa instead of bread crumbs tastes much better and doesn’t leave him feeling so “full” after dinner. I have served this recipe to meat loving guests and they have all enjoyed it, I will never ever make traditional meatloaf again!
Here is what you need:
1/4 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 chopped onion, 3 coves chopped garlic, 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey, 1 tablespoon ketchup (you will need additional to cover the loaf), 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper
Here is what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Bring quinoa and water to boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed.
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic (I chop mine in the food processor so it is diced very small and undetectable by the kiddos) and stir until onion is soft about 5 minutes.
4. Stir Turkey, ketchup, Worcestershire, egg, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
5. Add onions, garlic, and quinoa.
6. Shape into a loaf in a baking dish and cover with ketchup to your preference…tons of ketchup for us!
**I will note here that the original recipe which I tweaked some called for a homemade brown sugar glaze. Alex loves ketchup and that would not fly for him but if it something you may like you can find that recipe here**
7. Bake in preheated oven for about 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes and serve.
I served our meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh green beans.
Because I have two kids who like ketchup and one who does not I recently made turkey quinoa meatloaf in a muffin tin dish. It worked wonderfully and the kids really liked the novelty of it. It drastically reduced the cooking time to 25 minutes! If you have kids you should really try this!